Maxi Scooter Riders Club

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

The Harley has gone!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
capitano

PostSubject: The Harley has gone!   Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:43 pm

I know I'd only just bought it but these things happen.

FWIW I have no regrets in buying it. Whether I'd be able to ride a Harley again comfortably was something I was only ever going to find out by buying another and riding it, so that's what I did. I put 1300 miles on it in the first 10 days I owned it then took it on holiday in the New Forest.

It seemed that I loved it, but it hated me i that it aggravated my old knee injury somewhat.

I'd picked up the Harley for a very reasonable sum and figured I wouldn't lose much money on it whatever happened. This theory has been vindicated. Very Happy

Here's my 2006 GSX1400 Final Edition that I got in a swap deal. The Yoshimura street legal can is a standard fitment celebrating the long standing tie up of Suzuki with Yoshimura and the last model year of the 14 before Euro 3 killed it off.

It's not immaculate but it's right enough.

It goes...erm....rather well! I made the mistake of treating it like the Harley on the way home. Pulling out to overtake some lorries I snicked it down two gears and gunned the throttle. The feeling of my eyeballs hitting the back of my skull was quite vivid!

I'm not just pleased with it, I'm simply euphoric! Let's hope the good, warm feelings about it last some time.

Back to top Go down
Bob

PostSubject: Re: The Harley has gone!   Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:22 pm

Very nice Ged and we're were laying bets on what Chiefy would be riding the next time we all met Laughing
Back to top Go down
philmel

PostSubject: Re: The Harley has gone!   Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:43 am

Shocked Cor never mind the knees cos that mother will dislocate your elbows with too much throttle bounce Laughing
Back to top Go down
Keith

PostSubject: Re: The Harley has gone!   Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:05 am

That is gorgeous, Ged. It'll be comfy 2-up as well. I know you're going to enjoy it, mate.

I know EXACTLY what you mean when you said that the reality of ownership doesn't always live up to expectations, no matter how carefully you select your bikes. I owned my recent KTM Duke for just 9 days before doing a straight swap with the dealer for a replacement. Embarassed It was fun while it lasted, however.

Safe roads!

Very Happy

Suzuki DL650 V-Strom  
Piaggio BV300
Back to top Go down
Joyce

PostSubject: Re: The Harley has gone!   Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:20 am

Nice bike!!

I know what you mean re not 'quite right' either from physical to mental attachment to a bike. I have bought and sold a couple of bikes shortly after buying them. I was worried that would happen with my new bike as I spent all my savings on it but I love it more each time I ride it - thankfully.

PostSubject: Re: The Harley has gone!   Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:57 am

Thats better Ged, a proper bike!!
I always liked that model series, and thought them to be good value for money, easier servicing saving an hours labour not having to get all the fairing and plastic's off before eventually getting to the engine, and stainless header pipes too, the mild steal ones are one of Suzuki's weak points.
Is the collector box discoloured from heat or is it M.S?
They do eat rear tyres though, I had a dual compund on a simular type bike that gave me an extra 1000 miles, (managed 3000!Crying or Very sad)
Are those rear gas shocks standard too?
BTW you have a p.m.
Back to top Go down
capitano

PostSubject: Re: The Harley has gone!   Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:38 pm

Bob wrote:
Very nice Ged and we're were laying bets on what Chiefy would be riding the next time we all met Laughing

I still reckon the Chief will on a V-Max next time. I was quite taken with that Derbi, though.

philmel wrote:
Shocked Cor never mind the knees cos that mother will dislocate your elbows with too much throttle bounce Laughing

I'm thinking of having them lock-wired, Phil! Laughing

Keith wrote:
That is gorgeous, Ged. It'll be comfy 2-up as well. I know you're going to enjoy it, mate.

I know EXACTLY what you mean when you said that the reality of ownership doesn't always live up to expectations, no matter how carefully you select your bikes. I owned my recent KTM Duke for just 9 days before doing a straight swap with the dealer for a replacement. Embarassed It was fun while it lasted, however.

Safe roads!

Very Happy

Yep, it just HAD to be done. I had the Bulldog Bash coming up and there was no way I was going to take the Harley up to Stratford.

I'd wanted to check out Haslemere Motorcycles since visiting their old shop. They are now based near my Sister and have an superb reputation. They did a brilliant deal with no hassle whatsoever and I figure that from selling the Nexus at a good price, buying the Harley and trading it, I've actually come up trumps with the deal, money-wise too.

It's probably a win/win situation as I think that they may have a buyer for the Harley lined up.

Joyce wrote:
Nice bike!!

I know what you mean re not 'quite right' either from physical to mental attachment to a bike. I have bought and sold a couple of bikes shortly after buying them. I was worried that would happen with my new bike as I spent all my savings on it but I love it more each time I ride it - thankfully.

Yep, and once it's in your mind that you don't really want the bike it takes all enjoyment out of riding it, doesn't it? Thankfully we are all different. I know that the right person will love the Harley and enjoy riding it which is exactly what I did til I realised that it was hurting me.

Bath Bonnie wrote:
Thats better Ged, a proper bike!!
I always liked that model series, and thought them to be good value for money, easier servicing saving an hours labour not having to get all the fairing and plastic's off before eventually getting to the engine, and stainless header pipes too, the mild steal ones are one of Suzuki's weak points.
Is the collector box discoloured from heat or is it M.S?
They do eat rear tyres though, I had a dual compund on a simular type bike that gave me an extra 1000 miles, (managed 3000!Crying or Very sad)
Are those rear gas shocks standard too?
BTW you have a p.m.

I don't know about the box, I'll check it out.

The present rear tyre is a Dunlop Sportmax. I had those on my Buell and the Valkyrie when I got them and they are awful tyres IMHO. Strangely the front is my favourite tyre for large bikes, a Bridgestone BT020. I'll wear the Dunflop out and replace it with a Bridgie. The rear BT020 on my 955i Sprint RS lasted nearly 6000 miles. I don't expect the Zooki will achieve that, though!

The gas shocks are standard. They are a popular aftermarket upgrade for V-Maxes apparently.
Back to top Go down
Dave Weller

PostSubject: Re: The Harley has gone!   Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:21 am

Just the bike for nipping down to the shops on, really nice bike.
Regards
Dave
Back to top Go down
Joyce

PostSubject: Re: The Harley has gone!   Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:49 am

Have we been spammed!!! my last message and ones by Capitano and Bath Bonnie has been zapped (see blue underlined word in my message).

Derek - do you know what is happening?

Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Harley has gone!   Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:54 am

I believe it has something do do with the host picking up google adverts, not aqpeparing at the moment though and nothing I can do about it.

PostSubject: Re: The Harley has gone!   Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:57 am

OK thanks - just left a message one one of the other sections before I read your reply Smile

PostSubject: Re: The Harley has gone!   

Back to top Go down

The Harley has gone!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1