Maxi Scooter Riders Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Maxi Scooter Riders Club

Maxi Scooter Riders Club

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Piaggio XEvo 400

Go down 
+4
Derek
philmel
Dave Weller
mike
8 posters
AuthorMessage
mike

Piaggio XEvo 400 Empty
PostSubject: Piaggio XEvo 400   Piaggio XEvo 400 EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 6:41 am

Hello I have been trying different tyre pressures on my Piggy. I found the manual suggestions very harsh ie 33 PSI front and 38 rear.Piaggio XEvo 400 Icon_eek Running with 28 front and 30 rear that is solo only. Any thoughts?Piaggio XEvo 400 Icon_question

Mike on Piggy 400
Back to top Go down
Dave Weller

Piaggio XEvo 400 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Piaggio XEvo 400   Piaggio XEvo 400 EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 11:31 am

The manuals pressures seem right to me.
Back to top Go down
philmel

philmel

Piaggio XEvo 400 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Piaggio XEvo 400   Piaggio XEvo 400 EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 11:33 am

Piaggio XEvo 400 Icon_smile Hi Mike , in my opinion the tyre pressures are set with the load average of each end of the bike taken into consideration , by reducing the pressure you increase the wall flexing which increases the heat build up in the tyre . I feel this will reduce tyre life and increase the chance of tyre failyer.
Back to top Go down
mike

Piaggio XEvo 400 Empty
PostSubject: Piaggio 400 tyres   Piaggio XEvo 400 EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 12:16 pm

Thanks guysPiaggio XEvo 400 Icon_biggrin
I did note that the manual states tyre pressures "with passenger". So I was wondering for solo use there would be a lower pressure, can't see any reference though in the manualPiaggio XEvo 400 Icon_surprised .

Also notice that after 2300 miles there is a lot of wear just in the centre of the rear tyre which I know may be caused by over inflation. Tyres are stock Michelins.

Of course this may also be due to my riding stylePiaggio XEvo 400 Icon_redface

Regards Mike on Piggy 400
Back to top Go down
philmel

philmel

Piaggio XEvo 400 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Piaggio XEvo 400   Piaggio XEvo 400 EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 1:16 pm

Piaggio XEvo 400 Icon_smile Nothing wrong with your riding style mate ! the centers on thev rear of modern bike tyres always wear first and quickly , I was getting between 6 to 8000 miles max out of my rear tyre on an X9 500 . Piaggio XEvo 400 Affraid
Back to top Go down
Dave Weller

Piaggio XEvo 400 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Piaggio XEvo 400   Piaggio XEvo 400 EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 1:44 pm

Under inflation causes faster tyre wear, if you are not happy with the feel of the bike, if it is riding hard on the back, soften up the rear spring preload, ie allowing the springs more movement to absorb the bumps/potholes.
Back to top Go down
mike

Piaggio XEvo 400 Empty
PostSubject: Piggy 400   Piaggio XEvo 400 EmptySun Apr 11, 2010 2:09 pm

Okay more pressure it is thenPiaggio XEvo 400 Icon_study as per manual .
Its the front end that seems harsh, rear is very comfortablePiaggio XEvo 400 Icon_biggrin maybe its the diabolical roads around herePiaggio XEvo 400 Affraid

Here is a wear storyPiaggio XEvo 400 Icon_mad
My last bike 20 odd years ago was a Yamaha RD400F. Never wore out a front tyre as the machine would tend to paw the air with very little provocation, rear tyre (and I tried many makes) would see 4/5000 miles if I was careful. I setled for Avon Roadrunners.
The stock chain would stretch almost before your eyes hence it needed adjusting every single tripPiaggio XEvo 400 Fresse Stock rear brake pads you would be very lucky to see 1500 miles if it was mucky and wetPiaggio XEvo 400 Affraid. plus the brakes simply did not work until dried outPiaggio XEvo 400 Icon_pale

What make of tyres did or do you have on your machinePiaggio XEvo 400 Icon_question heard Pirellis are goodPiaggio XEvo 400 Icon_question

Thanks for your input

Mike on Piggy XEvo 400
Back to top Go down
Derek
Admin
Derek

Piaggio XEvo 400 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Piaggio XEvo 400   Piaggio XEvo 400 EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 12:13 am

Michellin Gold Star was the tyre of choice for the X9 alas they don't make them any more.

I forget the name but I used a 'sport' tyre on mine that gave a much more positive feel and leaned into the corners a lot sharper.
Back to top Go down
Bath Bonnie

Bath Bonnie

Piaggio XEvo 400 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Piaggio XEvo 400   Piaggio XEvo 400 EmptyFri Apr 23, 2010 12:20 pm

Michelin Gold Standard were developed specifically for the X8/Xevo, they can still be found on line, I ran mine at 28/32 psi.
This was for the 400cc.
Trouble with them was they went off only half lifed, others found this too.
I managed to squeeze 4000 miles out of the rear before I gratefully part exchanged it for the present bike.
Having had the scoot from new I soon chucked out the o.e. pads and opted for the EBC equivalent, the helped a great deal to the feel of the brakes especially in the wet.
Derek, did you mean Michelin Pilot Sports?
I had them on my Aprilia RST 1000, brilliant tyres but only got 2000 out of a rear!Piaggio XEvo 400 Icon_rolleyes
Doing better with the Bonny/Metzelers, expecting 6000 out of the rear!Piaggio XEvo 400 Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Bob

Bob

Piaggio XEvo 400 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Piaggio XEvo 400   Piaggio XEvo 400 EmptyFri Apr 23, 2010 3:44 pm

I had pirellis on the X9 but have run with Bridgestone Hoops on my old 400 Burgman and present Honda Silver Wing. Usually get about 7.5K miles out of the rear tyre at which point it has to be lifted around corners.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Admin
Derek

Piaggio XEvo 400 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Piaggio XEvo 400   Piaggio XEvo 400 EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 12:12 am

Bath Bonnie wrote:

Derek, did you mean Michelin Pilot Sports?
I had them on my Aprilia RST 1000, brilliant tyres but only got 2000 out of a rear!Piaggio XEvo 400 Icon_rolleyes

Them's the ones.Piaggio XEvo 400 Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Keith

Keith

Piaggio XEvo 400 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Piaggio XEvo 400   Piaggio XEvo 400 EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 1:07 am

Bob wrote:
...Usually get about 7.5K miles out of the rear tyre ...

Crikey! Have you already done that on your SWing? Doesn't time pass quickly when you're having fun .....?

Piaggio XEvo 400 Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
Bob

Bob

Piaggio XEvo 400 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Piaggio XEvo 400   Piaggio XEvo 400 EmptySat Apr 24, 2010 1:41 am

No Keith that's an average on the scoots that I've had. I had the Silverwing a year to the day on our last jolly to Alton and I've ridden just over 4000 miles in that year. 14th April 2009 - 14th April 2010
Back to top Go down
mike

Piaggio XEvo 400 Empty
PostSubject: XEvo 400   Piaggio XEvo 400 EmptySun Apr 25, 2010 9:50 pm

Bath Bonny, I am running Michelin Gold Standards and I would agree they have lost somethingPiaggio XEvo 400 Icon_mad with a strong tendency to white linePiaggio XEvo 400 Suspect Mileage is 2300. I note your running pressures of 28/32 which is a lot lower than the spec in the manual I believePiaggio XEvo 400 Icon_eek .
I guess when the tyres need to be replaced its a scooter dealer job, not something one can do yourselfPiaggio XEvo 400 Icon_redface

How much roughly is a replacement rear going to cost mePiaggio XEvo 400 Affraid
Back to top Go down
Bob

Bob

Piaggio XEvo 400 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Piaggio XEvo 400   Piaggio XEvo 400 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 1:02 am

They can be changed by the rider. I'm fortunate that my mate Bath Bonnie lives about 12 miles away. A new back tyre is going to cost you around £100 to supply and fit at a garage. If you take the wheel off, buy a tyre from somewhere like www.blackcircles.com or www.tyresalesuk.co.uk and take the new tyre and wheel to your local tyre fitter you will probably save £40.
Back to top Go down
BrianG

BrianG

Piaggio XEvo 400 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Piaggio XEvo 400   Piaggio XEvo 400 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 2:49 am

My X9 500 will need a rear tyre very soon so I will be looking for a way to get that done. I use the MGS tyres but there are not so many for sale now or that is how it seems.

BrianG
Back to top Go down
Bath Bonnie

Bath Bonnie

Piaggio XEvo 400 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Piaggio XEvo 400   Piaggio XEvo 400 EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 6:05 am

mike wrote:
Bath Bonny, I am running Michelin Gold Standards and I would agree they have lost somethingPiaggio XEvo 400 Icon_mad with a strong tendency to white linePiaggio XEvo 400 Suspect Mileage is 2300. I note your running pressures of 28/32 which is a lot lower than the spec in the manual I believePiaggio XEvo 400 Icon_eek .
I guess when the tyres need to be replaced its a scooter dealer job, not something one can do yourselfPiaggio XEvo 400 Icon_redface

I found running the half worns at much more pressure had the scoot squirreling all over Caithness roads, which surprised me as their roads are quit sharp surfaced generally speaking, lots of shell grip in the tarmac mix.
Had a few brown trouser moments over white lines/junction markings too.
Strangely though it got better again after it was near worn out, took it from Bath to Southend then on to Norfolk for its last ride on barely legal tyres for the trade-in iand it was fine!
Why do these manufactures do this, make tyres for a specific bike then discontinue them, Metzeler have done exactly the same thing with the Bonneville/MEz2, they are discontinued as well!
Back to top Go down
mike

Piaggio XEvo 400 Empty
PostSubject: Bath to Southend   Piaggio XEvo 400 EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 10:40 am

Hello Bath Bonny

This reminds me of my days on a CZ250 running from East Sussex to The Mendips (Priddy) to go potholing. I would take a stack of nicad cells on its carrier for our teams lamps ( 3 of us). Fantastic experience to say the least! Oh it was never dry for longPiaggio XEvo 400 Fresse . The Hunters Lodge though was always a warm welcome....if you were not riding of course!!Piaggio XEvo 400 Affraid
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Piaggio XEvo 400 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Piaggio XEvo 400   Piaggio XEvo 400 Empty

Back to top Go down

Piaggio XEvo 400
Page 1 of 1