Maxi Scooter Riders Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Maxi Scooter Riders Club

Maxi Scooter Riders Club

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

new BMW 650 single

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave Weller

new BMW 650 single Empty
PostSubject: new BMW 650 single   new BMW 650 single EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 10:40 am

Re-introduced the F650gs as the new G650gs
http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/bmw/2011-bmw-g650-gs-ar99123.html

Available in March, price TBA, but must be much lower than the F650gs 800 twin, note it has tubeless tyres, could be a good practical bike.
Back to top Go down
capitano

new BMW 650 single Empty
PostSubject: Re: new BMW 650 single   new BMW 650 single EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 12:23 pm

It seems like a very well sorted bike, Dave.

I could be tempted...but then again...

new BMW 650 single DSCF2040
Back to top Go down
Dave Weller

new BMW 650 single Empty
PostSubject: Re: new BMW 650 single   new BMW 650 single EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 1:35 pm

Ged
Suits you sir. Any idea of price at the show? Keith, Brian and myself were members of the F650 forum some years ago, other than head bearing problems they give years of trouble free service.
BTW, could be riding again tomorrow for the first time in 2 weeks, what a long layoff for me, I've got birds to watch you know.
Regards
Dave
bounce Anyone seen Bob bounce
Back to top Go down
poldark

new BMW 650 single Empty
PostSubject: Re: new BMW 650 single   new BMW 650 single EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 10:21 am

Dave Weller wrote:
BTW, could be riding again tomorrow for the first time in 2 weeks, what a long layoff for me, I've got birds to watch you know.

You just be careful out there, that birdwatching is now to be considered a dangerous hobby........................ Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dave Weller

new BMW 650 single Empty
PostSubject: Re: new BMW 650 single   new BMW 650 single EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 11:26 am

Back safe, what a lovely day, full sunshine and plenty of birds about, No damage to the little bike,
Back to top Go down
capitano

new BMW 650 single Empty
PostSubject: Re: new BMW 650 single   new BMW 650 single EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 12:13 pm

Dave Weller wrote:
Ged
Suits you sir. Any idea of price at the show? Keith, Brian and myself were members of the F650 forum some years ago, other than head bearing problems they give years of trouble free service.
Regards
Dave
bounce Anyone seen Bob bounce

No price. Our mate Dave was up there on the Metal Mule stand and asked in a "trade" capacity but no dice. "Wait and see" so we're told but it will be competitive. To sell it has to be significantly less than the 650GS twin I'd guess.
Back to top Go down
Dave Weller

new BMW 650 single Empty
PostSubject: Re: new BMW 650 single   new BMW 650 single EmptyWed Feb 09, 2011 3:07 am

There is something about the bike on the F650 forum, under the title Chinese copy, if that's true, it goes against what I've seen from BMW so far.
It may have canbus wiring, but I doubt that,
Price could be in the region of £5500.
We will have to wait and see.
Back to top Go down
capitano

new BMW 650 single Empty
PostSubject: Re: new BMW 650 single   new BMW 650 single EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 2:33 am

It is under £5000, Dave.

The motor is indeed from a Chinese factory not Austrian any longer and the spec is very basic.

However, under £5k fort a new BMW is a bit of a steal really...isn't it?
Back to top Go down
Dave Weller

new BMW 650 single Empty
PostSubject: Re: new BMW 650 single   new BMW 650 single EmptyThu Mar 10, 2011 11:36 am

Ged, At that price, I will be in the queue for one, I've had a F650CS in the past (thanks Keith), and did about 15000 miles on that at about 70mpg. The old bikes make good money on Ebay and are soon sold.
I am planning to start using the Triumph as my main bike this year, I have got it running well and plan to improve it. But plans can change.
It could be an improvement if parts are made in China, on the old bikes some gearbox shafts gears and bearings were prone to wear and failure, and Rotax made them. BMW would not chance getting a poor reputation on quality control.
The steering head bearings wear on the old model, the fix is to install a grease nipple (caused by hot oil in frame), it may be fitted as standard this time, I'm sure BMW is trying to capture the budget world market.
I must try an Enfield, but I'm sure it will not be as good, and second hand prices on Enfields reflect this.
I notice Vines have just taken over the Caterham BMW shop.
Back to top Go down
capitano

new BMW 650 single Empty
PostSubject: Re: new BMW 650 single   new BMW 650 single EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 5:40 am

Out even before the shop opened, brand new BMW G650GS on launch day.

This bike had 2 miles on its clock!!!

It has an air of quality from the start, nicely detailed and gloriously basic. I can get my feet flat on the floor whilst stood and that's on the standard seat height so shorter folk will be well catered for by the seat reduction kit.

A nice motor that feels better than the 800 twin to me. Maybe because it was brand new I didn't like it as much as the Enfield motor though, strangely enough. The Enfield was more of what I'd expect a decent sized single to be.

The bike feels ever so light and flickable as much as it could on brand new tyres. I was really glad it was a dry day as I got waved off by a whole throng of BMW-ers there for the 1600-6 launch.

I'll not go into too much bullshit, I could only have the bike for about 40 minutes. It's enough to make me curious and I'm pencilled in for a test ride for longer when it's loosened up a bit next weekend. I t didn't make me want to put cash down straight away though, and the sub-£5k byline is a lie. BMW's on-the-road charges are obscene!!! Shocked If winces were sounds I'd have deafened the showroom when the OTR and extras prices were quoted!

The other bugbear for me is the riding position on the move is good, but very restricted for movement. The tank flares out wide and whenever you try to get in a different position for your knees the sloping seat slides you back to the same point.

Is it my new bike? Maybe not..... but we'll see. Wink

new BMW 650 single DSCF2163
new BMW 650 single DSCF2164
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

new BMW 650 single Empty
PostSubject: Re: new BMW 650 single   new BMW 650 single Empty

Back to top Go down

new BMW 650 single
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Maxi Scooter Riders Club :: General Bike Chat-