Maxi Scooter Riders Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Maxi Scooter Riders Club

Maxi Scooter Riders Club

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What should I pay?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
agman

What should I pay? Empty
PostSubject: What should I pay?   What should I pay? EmptyWed May 27, 2009 3:09 pm

Hi guys. I have the chance to buy a 2001 Silverwing with 3000 miles on it in immaculate condition. It comes with a honda topbox. What do you think is a good price to pay and what is too much?

Also what has changed from the 2001 model in subsequent years?
Back to top Go down
Bob

Bob

What should I pay? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What should I pay?   What should I pay? EmptyWed May 27, 2009 4:23 pm

Hi Agman. I paid £3499 for my 07, 23 months old. How much are they asking? Looking at Bike trader that age seems to go for around £2000 - 2500 but they have 30K+ miles.
Back to top Go down
agman

What should I pay? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What should I pay?   What should I pay? EmptyWed May 27, 2009 5:18 pm

I think they will let it go at £2500. It doesn't have ABS, but I'm not sure how big a deal that is. I will probably go and look at it tomorrow, but thus far the owner has assured me that it doesn't have a mark on it and 0 faults.

What was the mileage on yours when you brought it?
Back to top Go down
Bob

Bob

What should I pay? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What should I pay?   What should I pay? EmptyThu May 28, 2009 1:13 am

Just a shade under 7500 and I got them to do an 8000 mile service for free.
Back to top Go down
Dave Weller

What should I pay? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What should I pay?   What should I pay? EmptyThu May 28, 2009 2:00 am

It should have the original tyres still fitted, proving the mileage, these tyres are past their best and have age hardened, 5 years is a safe limit for tyres. My tyre dealer gives this advice.
I would buy the bike for a couple of hundred pounds over the going price, but only if you are able to look after it and keep it in that condition.
Back to top Go down
Bath Bonnie

Bath Bonnie

What should I pay? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What should I pay?   What should I pay? EmptyThu May 28, 2009 2:09 am

What are the service intervals on yours Bob, when do belts need changing?
Agman, if you get it I would seriously budget for a belt change unless you see proof its been done very recently, a belt of that age may well be perished, you could probably get away with rollers and guides if you are penny pinching, but while you're at the belt its probably worth getting them done at the same time too.
Back to top Go down
agman

What should I pay? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What should I pay?   What should I pay? EmptyThu May 28, 2009 2:42 pm

I didn't consider the tyres, but here are a couple of bits of info I consequently found:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDgSk5xWkrI
http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/advice/motorvehicles/tyres.htm

Scarey! I will probably be driving it 300 miles back from Wales tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
agman

What should I pay? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What should I pay?   What should I pay? EmptyThu May 28, 2009 2:53 pm

Ok, please can I have a quick reply (hopefully so I can read it before setting off early tomorrow). What are a decent set of tyres for a Silverwing and what will they cost (ballpark) fitted. Maybe there's a chance I can get it into a tyre shop and have them changed before the journey back. Or am I being paranoid?
Back to top Go down
Waspie

Waspie

What should I pay? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What should I pay?   What should I pay? EmptyThu May 28, 2009 3:08 pm

agman wrote:
Ok, please can I have a quick reply (hopefully so I can read it before setting off early tomorrow). What are a decent set of tyres for a Silverwing and what will they cost (ballpark) fitted. Maybe there's a chance I can get it into a tyre shop and have them changed before the journey back. Or am I being paranoid?

The seller should sell the machine with street legal tyres for the Wing. Certainly check them, make sure they are a known make, Bridgestone/Mitchellin etc.

As for paranoia, yup I think you are to a degree. The You tube clip, was from the USA, and I don't know if we in this country apply the same casual attitude to our rubber. Just ask your self, do you know any one that has a traumatic failure like those shown. Me personally - nope!

Go on your gut instinct. If it fits your personal criteria then go for it. If something stinks - walk away!
Back to top Go down
Bob

Bob

What should I pay? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What should I pay?   What should I pay? EmptyThu May 28, 2009 3:39 pm

Bath Bonnie wrote:
What are the service intervals on yours Bob, when do belts need changing?

Service interval 4000 miles belt change @ 16000 miles
Back to top Go down
Dave Weller

What should I pay? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What should I pay?   What should I pay? EmptyThu May 28, 2009 4:10 pm

Maybe I have overststed the situation on the tyre front. The tyres can be visually checked for any cracks within the treads or sidewalls.
Enjoy the ride, it sounds like a very good buy.
Back to top Go down
agman

What should I pay? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What should I pay?   What should I pay? EmptySat May 30, 2009 3:29 am

The deal was done. I'm now the proud owner of a Silverwing! I rode 300 miles back from Wales yesterday and the bike was very impressive. I had been sitting on the fence whether to go Silverwing or Burgman and thus far I'm glad I've gone with the SW. Yesterday I was held up a few times by long tail backs on the Motorways. The wing is just the right width to slowly work your way through it and still make good headway.

The only negative thing I can think of is the screen needs to be a bit higher. At 6'1" I get a fair bit of wind buffeting poking over the top. I read somewhere about a givi screen, can anyone put be straight on what the benefits are and what they cost?
Back to top Go down
Bob

Bob

What should I pay? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What should I pay?   What should I pay? EmptySat May 30, 2009 7:03 am

Good news Agman. Can't offer any advice about the screen as I'm a stumpy git at 5' 6" and a bit.

Best get over to the Silver Wing forums for some specific answers. They use Givi screens and the Laminar lip which is supposed to be very good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What should I pay? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What should I pay?   What should I pay? Empty

Back to top Go down

What should I pay?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Maxi Scooter Riders Club :: Maxi Chat-
Jump to: