Maxi Scooter Riders Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Maxi Scooter Riders Club

Maxi Scooter Riders Club

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bad accident M5

Go down 
+3
Derek
Joyce
Bath Bonnie
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Bath Bonnie

Bath Bonnie

Bad accident M5 Empty
PostSubject: Bad accident M5   Bad accident M5 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2009 1:55 am

There was a bad accident on Saturday afternoon on the Taunton stretch of the M5, a trke like this:
BRP Can-Am Spyder Roadster | Motorbikes

was taken out by a car, the rider is in a critcal condition.
It wouls appear that he was not to blame, or not fully atleast, as the car driver has been charged.
Makes me wonder if being it was so un-usual a bike, the car was looking at it and caused the accident?
Pure speculation on my part, but twice on Saturday as I travelled across on the M4 after my flying visit to Sarfend I had simular experience's, a car came by me and 'hovered' twice to look at the bike!
It do'esnt take much to go wrong, especially when we were 'ahem' traveling at the national speed limit.
Heres a report:
Police appeal after horrific crash leaves biker 'critical' (From Somerset County Gazette)
I hope the biker recovers well, and as soon as possible too.
Back to top Go down
Joyce

Joyce

Bad accident M5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad accident M5   Bad accident M5 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2009 3:12 am

I hope he fully recovers soon.

I agree with the idea that some drivers are mesmerised by certain bikes heading towards them. When I rode home from the dealers on my MP3 (the maxi with two wheels at the front), a car was well over the line trying to look at the bike until he suddenly realised what he was doing.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Admin
Derek

Bad accident M5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad accident M5   Bad accident M5 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2009 3:17 am

I've often had the same thing on the Fugly, even at NSL+ on the motorway where drivers have pulled alongside and leaned over to look through the passenger window to get a better look. affraid

I wonder if the biker was wearing a helmet even though it's not required?
Back to top Go down
Bath Bonnie

Bath Bonnie

Bad accident M5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad accident M5   Bad accident M5 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2009 3:34 am

Re the helmet, thats a grey area, some seem to need helmets on what seems to be based on weight, or width or other vague criterea, others dont, but need seat belts.
If I had a trike of any sort I think I would go for the belt and braces option, or in this case, helmet!
I was one of the original protesters btw, not because I did'nt want to ware one, I always did before the legislation, but because of the option being taken away.
Back to top Go down
Waspie

Waspie

Bad accident M5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad accident M5   Bad accident M5 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2009 6:39 am

Not good news. Hope the rider recovers.

Trouble is, as we are all aware, the weather brings out more riders this time of the year. So percentage wise we are more likely to read more of this type of incident.
Back to top Go down
BrianG

BrianG

Bad accident M5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad accident M5   Bad accident M5 EmptyMon Jun 01, 2009 8:59 am

Having read the above I now wonder at the wisdom of Piaggio in bringing out their new styled scoot'. It is essentially the same as the MP3 but with the front wheels further apart by a few more millimeters. This means that it falls into the category of a 'trike'. Therefore it can be ridden on a car licence. That will open up the world of biking to all sorts of chaos. We will then have to deal with the motorist riding bike like vehicles and we are not going to be able to identify them from a distance, unlike today.

What say you!

BrianG
Back to top Go down
Big Ears

Big Ears

Bad accident M5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad accident M5   Bad accident M5 EmptyTue Jun 02, 2009 12:42 am

BrianG wrote:
What say you!

Simple - If 'it' can fall over, or you can fall off it - wear protection.

The recent sunshine has been nice, but I've lost count of the numbers of riders I've seen wearing just shorts, T shirt, trainers and helmet.

Have they never grazed their knuckles walking past a wall or stumbled on a pavement? Can they not imagine the damage from a tumble at speed!

Carefree or careless?
Back to top Go down
Bob

Bob

Bad accident M5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad accident M5   Bad accident M5 EmptyTue Jun 02, 2009 1:42 am

My next door neighbour was actually caught up in the resulting tailback from this incident on his way home from Devon.
Back to top Go down
BrianG

BrianG

Bad accident M5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad accident M5   Bad accident M5 EmptyTue Jun 02, 2009 3:13 am

Colin is right, have they forgotten when they were on pushbikes and got gravel rash when they fell off. It hurts even more when you travel faster and are sitting astride a heavier machine and fall off. I know that when you are young you consider yourself to be indestructable, of course this is not really true. It is part of the growing process and asserting yourself in the eyes world. Wiser counsel comes later, if you survive.

BrianG
Back to top Go down
Bath Bonnie

Bath Bonnie

Bad accident M5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad accident M5   Bad accident M5 EmptyTue Jun 02, 2009 6:06 am

M5 crash motorcyclist latest (From Somerset County Gazette)

This is the latest, it also has a picture of the bike involved, not what I expected, its more of a sports bike with a small side-car.
It certainly caused some choas though!
Back to top Go down
Bob

Bob

Bad accident M5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad accident M5   Bad accident M5 EmptyTue Jun 02, 2009 7:02 am

Definitely looks like a can-am to me.
Back to top Go down
BrianG

BrianG

Bad accident M5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad accident M5   Bad accident M5 EmptyTue Jun 02, 2009 2:42 pm

Bob,

They confirmed in the article that it was a Cam-Am.

BrianG
Back to top Go down
Bob

Bob

Bad accident M5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad accident M5   Bad accident M5 EmptyTue Jun 02, 2009 3:30 pm

Hi Brian, I was referring to Terry's post that it looked like a bike and sidecar.

Terry wrote:
its more of a sports bike with a small side-car.

Please try to keep up.Laughing
Back to top Go down
BrianG

BrianG

Bad accident M5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad accident M5   Bad accident M5 EmptyTue Jun 02, 2009 4:17 pm

Boom Boom!

BrianG
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bad accident M5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bad accident M5   Bad accident M5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Bad accident M5
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Maxi Scooter Riders Club :: General Bike Chat-
Jump to: