Maxi Scooter Riders Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Maxi Scooter Riders Club

Maxi Scooter Riders Club

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Attempted murder or not?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
philmel

philmel

Attempted murder or not? Empty
PostSubject: Attempted murder or not?   Attempted murder or not? EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 9:51 am

Smile There is a huge roundabout at the top of Portsmouth and I was entering in the correct lane following a saloon car , I was alongside a mini bus which suddenly indicated and started to come into my lane ! I gave a feeble toot to warn him I was there but the single finger out of the window told me he not only knew I was there but had deliberatly come over as he cared not for my welfare. I was frightened and furious. But thinking things out I was at fault !
I was riding assuming my right of way- never a good idea on two wheels as in reality it does not exist on a bike. Also not anticipating the actions of the minibus and riding alongside a vehicle in that situation. In conclusion I wont get caught like that again as I will allways have an escape plan cyclops

Last edited by philmel on Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bob

Bob

PostSubject: Re: Attempted murder or not?   Attempted murder or not? EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 10:43 am

Are you sure it wasn't Elsie driving the mini-bus? Maybe she's got a contact out on you if it wasn't actually her driving.
Back to top Go down
Keith

Keith

PostSubject: Re: Attempted murder or not?   Attempted murder or not? EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 10:59 am

philmel wrote:
...But thinking things out I was at fault !...

Refreshing! Sometimes I think we riders can tend to be a bit 'precious' and are a bit quick to claim that we are 'victims' of the actions of others. Maybe if more of us were to take a leaf out of your book, Phil, and analyse our own role in these tarmac confrontations then we might all live a bit longer. (I'm speaking generally here and not making a point about fellow forum members, of course!)

Your 'David and Goliath' experience reminds me of sailing's Rule of The Road, and in particular the rules governing what happens when powered vessels encounter sailing vessels. Most sailors will happily (and quite selectively) quote the 'power always gives way to sail' rule, but conveniently miss out the rule that says 'Sailing boats should avoid sailing in a narrow channel. They have to give way to power boats restricted by the channel.'

I see little difference between this situation and the situation in which riders try to poach some valuable space from our 4-wheeled brethren and then grumble if they are 'squashed' or eased out of the way.

If we take risks - hopefully calculated risks?? - then, like Phil, we must be prepared to at least take part responsibility for the consequences of our actions if things go a bit pear-shaped.

(Stands back awaiting flames ...... Wink )
Back to top Go down
Dave Weller

PostSubject: Re: Attempted murder or not?   Attempted murder or not? EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 12:40 pm

Welcome home Phil.
Back to top Go down
philmel

philmel

PostSubject: Re: Attempted murder or not?   Attempted murder or not? EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 11:47 pm

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Attempted murder or not?   Attempted murder or not? Empty

Back to top Go down

Attempted murder or not?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Maxi Scooter Riders Club :: General Bike Chat-
Jump to: