Maxi Scooter Riders Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Maxi Scooter Riders Club

Maxi Scooter Riders Club

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Screen Mods?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SkippyGLI

SkippyGLI

Screen Mods? Empty
PostSubject: Screen Mods?   Screen Mods? EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 9:33 am

I've recently got an 04' Silverwing and the only major issue I have with it is the wind blast from the standard screen. Despite it's apparent low mileage (3000 miles in 6 years) it's had 4 previous owners, one of whom I think at some time fitted what I can only describe as a 'flip up' addition held on with four suction cups - I know this as I can see the marks they left in the coating on the screen (even after I gave it a bloody good polish).

Being a skint crip (my description not anyone elses Smile ) does anybody know where I can get one of these items from?? I looked at the prices of bigger screens from the likes of Givi etc. and freaked right out.

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
philmel

philmel

Screen Mods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen Mods?   Screen Mods? EmptyFri Aug 20, 2010 11:11 am

Screen Mods? Icon_smile It was probably a Laminar lip , these are very effective but are made in america. . If you search laminar lip it should come up, Others more adept than me will come up with a link I should think .
Back to top Go down
Mr.Chips

Mr.Chips

Screen Mods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen Mods?   Screen Mods? EmptyWed Sep 01, 2010 6:37 am

Now available in the UK from Heroblobs:

http://shop.heroblobs.co.uk/collections/vendors?q=Laminar+Lip

I got my Silverwing Lip from here.
Back to top Go down
Grample

Screen Mods? Empty
PostSubject: re:screen mods   Screen Mods? EmptyTue Sep 14, 2010 8:47 am

Hi Scrippy I've just joined hence the late reply.

My wing is a year older and I wouldn't pay for a Givi tallscreen until last winter but I wish I had fitted it from new. It's not just the protection at head height - it gives total protection for your gloves as well. I now ride all year using my SP3 summer gloves. Yes. it'll cost you £100 but, for me, well worth it.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Chips

Mr.Chips

Screen Mods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen Mods?   Screen Mods? EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 4:47 am

The new Givi AirFlow adjustable screen is flavour of the month - I've just fitted mine having read excellent reports on Silverwing 600.

It's not cheap (£126.00) but my first impressions are very good.
It'll get a longer test over the weekend.

Fan though I am of Laminar Lips, the Givi is ten times better.
Back to top Go down
Grample

Screen Mods? Empty
PostSubject: Givi Airflow   Screen Mods? EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 5:45 am

Hi Mike
I've just viewed the video for the Airflow - looks really good - but in the video it seems to be the wrong side out to my feeble mind. With the extra top bit outside the main screen, won't the rain/wind be channelled between the two and straight onto your visor?
Back to top Go down
philmel

philmel

Screen Mods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen Mods?   Screen Mods? EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 9:20 am

Screen Mods? Icon_biggrin It creates what is known as a venturi effect , this accelerates the air causing a pressure drop and making the airflow off the main part of the screen rise higher to miss the rider , well thats how I understand it anyway . If you are at all familiar with aircraft wings there is a device called a slat which rises above the wing to aid lift at low airspeeds it has a different purpose but the aerodynamics are the same I think Screen Mods? Affraid One things for sure if I am talking cobblers some nice person will put me right Screen Mods? Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
Grample

Screen Mods? Empty
PostSubject: Airflow screen   Screen Mods? EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 10:03 am

Sounds reasonable to me.
I just thought that as both venturi & slats drop the pressure immediately after the restriction then that would pull the air into the space behind the top bit - working a bit like an F1 rear and therefore putting the turbulence in your face. And of course I'm bound to know more than those amateurs at Givi. clown
Hey Ho, the more I learn the less I know.
Damn good job t'aint my responsibilty to design screens then - but probably safer than me designing wings affraid

Look forward to an update from Mike.
Back to top Go down
Waspie

Waspie

Screen Mods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen Mods?   Screen Mods? EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 1:52 pm

Well I have decided the Givi Air Flow route is the way ahead for me. Mrs Waspie always struggles with what to get me for Christmas - sorted this year.

Looked at a few options and the Givi AF214 looks to be the dogs danglers right now.
Back to top Go down
philmel

philmel

Screen Mods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen Mods?   Screen Mods? EmptyThu Sep 16, 2010 12:32 am

Screen Mods? Icon_smile Bob has a wing I wonder what he has come up with on this ?
Back to top Go down
Mr.Chips

Mr.Chips

Screen Mods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen Mods?   Screen Mods? EmptyTue Sep 21, 2010 2:38 am

Well, all I can say is Full Marks for the AirFlow.

It doesn't completely cut out the noise or draft but does anyone really expect that on a motorcycle?
The awful buffetting and drumming in the ears has gone.

The screen is optically very good so that looking through it on the odd occasion one needs to look at the road immediately in front is not a problem.

As for the Venturi effect; that's all the Laminar Lip does. It worked well on the Piaggio screen which is wider than the Silverwing one.

I doubt anyone buying the Givi will be disappointed. It's changed my riding experience for the infinite better.

I was anxious about fitting it but it is easy, even drilling the two extra holes.

Sod the expense - go for it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Screen Mods? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Screen Mods?   Screen Mods? Empty

Back to top Go down

Screen Mods?
Page 1 of 1