Maxi Scooter Riders Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Maxi Scooter Riders Club

Maxi Scooter Riders Club

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

hello from new / old X9-er

Go down 
+2
Joyce
paulc
6 posters
AuthorMessage
paulc

hello from new / old X9-er  Empty
PostSubject: hello from new / old X9-er    hello from new / old X9-er  EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 2:21 am

Just registered, being signposted from the X9 forum. My name is Paul, I'm 61 next week - married to Pam- had an X9 for couple of months only- so all this biking is a new one for me. Passed test earlier this year and still getting to know the ins and outs of this riding thing. But I love it...

I had a vespa in my thirties and loved it- promised myself I'd do it again before my clogs drop off. So here we are.

We tow the bike behind our motorhome for localised touring (cheaper, easier and more fun than moving the van every time we go out).

I ride a 500i.e X9- but not done any really long rides yet. I live in Clevedon, Somerset- the furthest I've been on it is Oxford, Hereford, Exeter. At the railway station yesterday, I got chatting to another chap my age-ish, on a 300 something, who takes his to Ireland, and is planning to go to Switzerland this year. Put me to shame, so will do some longer runs- extend my range a bit.

Pammy loves the pillion riding, but struggles with getting her feet comfy on the pillion rests- need to find a way of extending them outward- any ideas?

Still a bit nervous about it- so am taking it steady before deep-ending!
Anyway. hello everyone!
Back to top Go down
Joyce

Joyce

PostSubject: Re: hello from new / old X9-er    hello from new / old X9-er  EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 2:37 am

Hi again Paul and Pam, glad to see you made it over here as well.
Back to top Go down
paulc

PostSubject: Re: hello from new / old X9-er    hello from new / old X9-er  EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 3:35 am

ah yes- joyce.. you're the one with the nice avatar pic! I remember.. Hello again
Back to top Go down
philmel

philmel

PostSubject: Re: hello from new / old X9-er    hello from new / old X9-er  EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 3:36 am

hello from new / old X9-er  Icon_biggrin Hello Paul and welcome , The foot rest problem on the X9 is well known and there are a number of solutions that have been tried .All should be found in the archives of the X9 site or just ask Dave Milnes who seems to know everything there is to know about anything in the known scooterverse ! hello from new / old X9-er  Icon_albino
Back to top Go down
paulc

PostSubject: Re: hello from new / old X9-er    hello from new / old X9-er  EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 3:43 am

yes- that's what others have said- but I can't find anything in the archives but some arcane reference to a solution with no detail... I'll carry on delving.
Back to top Go down
SkippyGLI

SkippyGLI

PostSubject: Re: hello from new / old X9-er    hello from new / old X9-er  EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 5:28 am

Hi Paul,

I've just logged in as well Smile While not exactly new to riding on two wheels, the auto experience is! I'm just down the road from you in Exeter!!! Next time you venture down here give us a shout (Sally's my pilllion) at least for a brew if not a ride......

Are you planning to come to the SW Motorcycle show?? If so, come and say hello - I'll be on the Westcountry Drifters/Blesma Stand.

Dunno, much about the X9 yet, as I haven't had a look at one, but I'm a fully qualified weldor/fabricator (done a bit of spraying as well) so might be able to help with mounting footboards etc. to make Pam more comfortable Smile I'll have a scooby around the net and see what I can come up with.

Best regards for now, have fun on the bike bounce bounce

Last edited by SkippyGLI on Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
paulc

PostSubject: Re: hello from new / old X9-er    hello from new / old X9-er  EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 6:40 am

Hi Skippy!

thanks for reply- and yes- I'll look you up when down Exeter way.The offer of a weld thing would be gratefully accepted, if we can find the right bits and how it will work round the body of the bike. Keep in touch Cool
Back to top Go down
philmel

philmel

PostSubject: Re: hello from new / old X9-er    hello from new / old X9-er  EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 8:40 am

hello from new / old X9-er  Icon_eek It seems all the photographs of the varied conversions were lost in a big computor crash some years back ! I do remember one though ,it was attached underneath and was bent round to form a footpeg some 4 or 5 inches higher thn the standard board (it was for a child ) Hope this is of some use hello from new / old X9-er  Icon_bounce
Back to top Go down
Waspie

Waspie

PostSubject: Re: hello from new / old X9-er    hello from new / old X9-er  EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 3:35 pm

Welcome Paul to our quite bit of scooter land.
Back to top Go down
paulc

PostSubject: Re: hello from new / old X9-er    hello from new / old X9-er  EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 3:53 pm

nice to be here... hope to share stories and tips as we get into it.
What a welcoming bunch of good folk.x
Back to top Go down
Bob

Bob

PostSubject: Re: hello from new / old X9-er    hello from new / old X9-er  EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 3:17 am

Hi Guys from another Westcountry man.
Back to top Go down
Joyce

Joyce

PostSubject: Re: hello from new / old X9-er    hello from new / old X9-er  EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 12:43 pm

Hope you are having a good birthday Paul.
Back to top Go down
philmel

philmel

PostSubject: Re: hello from new / old X9-er    hello from new / old X9-er  EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 11:47 pm

hello from new / old X9-er  Icon_cheers Many happy returns hello from new / old X9-er  Icon_bounce
Back to top Go down
paulc

PostSubject: Re: hello from new / old X9-er    hello from new / old X9-er  EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 2:30 pm

thanks everyone for birthday wishes ! Officially old at 61 now, but feel great.

Too wet for a ride yesterday-- we had torrential all day and my family (+little grandson) are staying- so egg n chips at Chew Valley lake tea rooms, then birthday cake at Pam's daughter-in-law's parents made for a good day.

Want to get out on t' bike, though- missed using it this week. I was tempted to go over to Epping on it (overnight last night for work today) but the weather has been so crappy I thought the better of it. Not sure what a really long run would be like. I will have to do it one of these days and see how I feel.

had an idea about extending the foot rests- I will do a little sketchipoos and post it up. Basically it involves a ribbed (non-slip) steel plate, bolted through the existing foot rest into the bracket below, to create an overhang- and perhaps adding an extra bold nearer the body. I want to investigate if its possible first..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: hello from new / old X9-er    hello from new / old X9-er  Empty

Back to top Go down

hello from new / old X9-er
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Maxi Scooter Riders Club :: New Member Introductions-
Jump to: